Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Trials And Tribulations Of A Lear 24. N888FA Finally Finds A Home.


What was originally going to be titled, "The First Scramjet Powered Learjet," actually turned into a little bit of a story worth mentioning.

Born in 1972, she apparently overran the runway at BMC in 2005.  Subsequently, the engines were sold off, and the complete airframe, cockpit, and interior sat "For Sale" for some time (I recall it was $70,000 USD - Negotiable).

Aircraft was sold in 2012 to, of all parties, one of my Alma Mater's, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale (SIUC).  Being SIUC has excellent Aviation Management, Flight, and Maintenance degree programs, N888FA has indeed found a good home.

What makes the story even more interesting, is that I was originally offered the airframe back in 2010.  However, though I still wished I had purchased it, I am certainly glad the plane ended up at SIUC.

Shot location: BMC  (Photos by Dave Birkley)

No comments: